27 Jul Youth Program Tutor
Position Title: Youth Program Tutor
Department: Resident Services
Classification: Non-Exempt Part-Time
Supervisor: Resident Services Coordinator
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required to be performed. This position description is not meant or intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities or requirements of this position. Employees are expected to perform other functions as assigned or requested to further support the organization’s mission.
Community Corporation of Santa Monica (Community Corp) is a non-profit affordable housing developer committed to developing, managing, and enriching the lives of our residents. Community Corp has an exciting opportunity for a Youth Program Tutor within our UP-Grade after school program. The Youth Program Tutor is responsible for supporting youth at UP-Grade sites within Santa Monica. Applicants should be skilled in after-school programming and facilitation of activities that promote academic success and enrichment with youth. Under the supervision of Youth Specialists, the Youth Program Tutor provides daily homework support and enrichment activities that promote academic, social, and emotional development for youth ages 6-18.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Work with the Resident Services department to plan and develop youth activities including coordinating supplies, preparing snacks, and maintaining the space in a clean and orderly fashion
- Supervise and co-lead up to 20 youth per site, providing academic assistance, support and facilitating enrichment activities
- Open and close site following facility protocols
- Communicate with Youth Specialists around student progress
- Document critical incidents related to student safety and communicate with Youth Specialists, Resident Manager, and Director of Resident Services as needed
- Conduct outreach across UP-Grade sites to ensure all resident youth know of program opportunities – this including flyering and parent outreach
- May be asked to provide support during community events and/or youth related field trips
- Must complete mandated reporter training and other required youth and safety certifications
Skills/ Education and Experience
- Completion and/or current enrollment in post-secondary education (ex: community college or 4-year university) strongly preferred
- Direct experience working with youth in an after school or similar setting strongly preferred
- Creative, responsive and flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Must be reliable, honest, motivated, and able to motivate others
- Positive, open, caring, nonjudgmental and non-patronizing demeanor
- Excellent judgment and decision-making abilities
- Ability to handle and address conflict and resolve youth needs
- Strong organizational, written, and verbal communication skills
- Bilingual a plus
- Computer literacy in MS Word, Excel and Outlook and Google Documents
- Knowledge of Zoom and Google Classroom platforms
Youth Program Tutor will not have direct reports
From time to time may be asked to lift items that weigh up to 25 pounds.
Youth Program Tutor will coordinate services for youth throughout the Community Corp. affordable housing portfolio. Currently all properties are located in Santa Monica, California and the Program Tutor will be required to support youth residents at various properties, with 4 sites as the current program focus.
Must be able to travel to properties within the Community Corp. service area. Must possess and maintain a valid California ID or Driver’s License.
I have read and received the UP-Grade Youth Program Tutor job description. I understand that this description is a summary of responsibilities and is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. My position may include additional responsibilities as required. My signature below indicates receipt of this document and that I have read and understand what is required of this position. Nothing in this job description alters the at-will employment relationship in any way. If I have any questions about my position or job description I may contact Human Resources at Community Corp.
For PDF of position description please click here
Community Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer